It is Tutorial Day, another easy thing to do in AI, create lines formed of dashes or dots. Let’s get into it.
1. Ensure there is no fill colour, only stroke color.
2. Select the Line tool and draw a line
3. Go to Window >> Stroke – A new window will open where you have all the settings of the stroke to play with.
4. If you want a dashed line, select ‘Projecting Cap’ in the Cap options, select Dashed Line and enter the Dash and Gap amounts you would like your line to have.
5. If you want to have a dotted line: select ‘Round Cap’ in the Cap options, tick Dashed Line and enter the Dash and Gap amounts you would like your line to have.
You can apply the same effect to shapes. To do this:
1. Select the shape you’d like from the tool bar
2. Create the shape
3. If you already have the stroke settings setup, your shape will automatically use those details for the stroke of your shape, if not, you need to follow the steps below (3-5) to add the effect you’d like.
Once you have your dotted line or shape created, you can modify the thickness of the stroke and its colour.